It’s Halloween!!!!!!!!! (The awesomeness of Halloween totally justifies the use of multiple exclamation points.)
Halloween has always been my favorite holiday and it’s still the best time of the year, imho. It’s the one day out of 365 when you can dress up like a superhero or a vampire or a unicorn and, instead of strange looks, you get CANDY! (Seriously, I’ve tried wearing my unicorn horn around during other seasons and no one gave me candy, not even those gross peanut butter things.) The joy and beauty of Halloween is too much for a single day; in my family, we call the whole month Halloweentober. (This makes the entirety of September Halloweentober Eve, in which it is also acceptable to celebrate and dress up and do Halloween-y things.)
Other Reasons Halloween Season is the Best:
- Socks with skulls and black cats are out at all the stores.
- Everything smells like cinnamon and allspice, like pumpkin spice lattes and apple cider.
- That crunchy sound as you walk through fallen leaves.
- The colors of the leaves.
- I can wear my pirate costume.
- Pumpkin-shaped Reese’s cups.
- Pumpkin patches.
- Haunted houses.
- No one expects me to buy them gifts (unlike *some* holidays.)
- I’m not expected to travel cross-country to spend of time with relatives I don’t particularly like. (Again, unlike *some* holidays.)
- No green bean casserole.
- It’s (usually) not snowing yet.
- It’s (usually) not hot and humid.
- Glow sticks are plentiful.
- Halloween stores full of skull coffee mugs, bony photo frames, black wigs and enough other cute and creepy cheap crap to make a closet goth like me squee!
- “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.”
- Apple picking.
- Scary movies especially the old, cheesy kind.
- Corn mazes.
- Awesome, creepy music about monsters and ghosts.
- Dia de los Muertos (not part of Halloween, but same season).
- Samhain (the Celtic holiday that shares roots with Halloween).
- Bobbing for apples.
- Hay rides.
- Did I mention costumes?
- Jack Skellington
- Carving pumpkins.
- Roasting pumpkin seeds.
- Stuffing scarecrows.
- Ghost-shaped Peeps.
- Count Chocula.
- LITERALLY EVERYTHING!!!!!!